Many thanks to Phil and Anne-Marie for organizing Sunday’s scavenger hunt. It was a great event and Widowed Friends was delighted to partially subsidize the day to ensure that everyone’s costs were kept to a minimum and organizers were able to plan and purchase prizes for winners! Thanks everyone. Here’s Phil’s report on the day – see the pics at the end of the report.
We were the last ones to leave Ned Devine’s Irish Pub Sunday night and as we were walking towards the car, a young man in his late 20’s came up to us… he had been on the rooftop patio during our party.
He asked what our celebration was all about, because we seemed to be having so much fun and he wanted to join our club. We explained that the price of joining was painfully high and not one that a person of his youth would want to pay, but we thanked him for indulging our loud laughter even though at times we probably impacted the afternoons of other patrons.
This was our second Mission Possible event and in every way (according to you), it was even better than the first one.
- We had 39 participants in 11 cars, more than last year.
- We set a new record for the latest finisher – about 4 hours after starting, last year it was just over 3 hours, but hey it wasn’t a race.
- Congratulations to our winners: Team 5 comprising, Geraldine, Ed, Carole & Dave.
- For the first time we had to use tie-breaker questions to determine the 2ndplace finishers; three teams tied for the second-highest points accumulated during the trip. After the play-off and with 7 of 11 correct answers, Team 4 comprising Wendy, Bonnie, Daksha and Joanne walked away as runners-up.
- Of special satisfaction though was the increased number of people who actually wore costume, compared with last year. To us that really helped set the atmosphere. After you all started driving, we had to go and buy prizes, and we were in costume also! It intrigued those in the stores, including the LCBO where a customer wondered which airport I had landed at and was struggling to think that it was Burlington Air Park. The young server at Shoppers Drug Mart was too young to understand the 80’s theme and although she gallantly guessed, missed Anne-Marie’s nod to Madonna, a shame really because older people guessed it right first time. But wasn’t that our MISSION – Recover the 80’s because young people have lost it!
- On this theme, I appreciate the work of our fashion judges who awarded the prize for Best Costume – Female to, Sandra Hayes, and for the Male to myself; very humbling guys.
- Our thanks to Stephanie, Dorothy and the Executive Committee for their support and encouragement, without which yesterday would not have happened.
To each of you who participated yesterday, and made this so enjoyable, our thanks!
Phil & Anne-Marie