Sheesh! Here it comes again, the season of hearts and flowers and love, a difficult reminder for those who have lost their spouses. If this time of year brings you low, here are some things you can do to avoid all that Valentine’s Day lovey dovey sentimentality:
- Ignore it. Change the channel, turn off the radio, put down anything related to Valentines Day
- Stay away from restaurants before the day, during and after to avoid Valentine themed menus, decorations and smoochy couples
- Take extra good care of yourself. Book a spa appointment, buy your favourite food and bring it home to enjoy ( perhaps with a glass of wine?) Stay busy.
- If you haven’t already, purchase a Netflix or Crave subscription and binge watch whatever strikes your fancy or find a riveting book to read and absorb yourself in it.
- Have a home event with other widows/widowers or singles you may know
- Focus on the future, not the past
Do you have a way of dealing with special days of the year? Let us know in the comments section and we’ll share with everyone else.